Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Secret' to Repairing a Tear in a Canvas.


Everyone 

The other day I was telling some of y'all on Facebook on of how I repair my painting of Oak Glen "Potato Canyon Weather Old Barn" (to read about how my painting got damage, just look up my blog "I learn from my mistakes" and let it be told that my spelling is off then and now) 


After my encounter with my painting I went on a lot of different sites off and on for the last year to see if I could repair my damage painting. 
What I found is I could patch it from the back with a piece of canvas or a light color cloth but them you will still be able to see that it was damaged. Also I found out that over time the patch will bubble and damage your painting again. 

 Hummmmmmmm?


 So I kept looking and learning from different sites and this is what I came up with. 



Here is my 'Secret' to repairing a tear in a canvas.


1. Line your work table with newspapers because it can get messy at times.

2. I carefully remove the painting from my stretcher bar and placed it a side.


3. I use Masonite Board and I cut it into the correct size for my canvas painting. (These have white gesso on then. I now paint mostly on Masonite Board) 

4. Clean your board with a damp rag so as to remove any dirt. Let dry.



6. Apply a thin, even layer of glue or clear gesso to the Masonite Board but remember to avoid placing to much glue or clear gesso for it will squeeze out of the sides and make a mess.

7. Now while the glue or clear gesso is still wet, turn the canvas over and carefully rub the canvas to remove any air pockets and carefully align the threads in the tear and push any loose threads into place with a pair of tweezers, needle, toothpick or a small scissors.

8. Gently wipe away with a damp cloth any excess glue or clear gesso from the painting and let dry for a moment.


9. Place some heavy books on top of the painting and leave it flat to dry over night. When the glue is dry, the canvas is ready for the last stage. 

10. Now take your painting and turn the canvas over to the back side and with a raze cut off any excess canvas from the painting. Remember to cut along the edge of the wood.     

11. Once that is done turn your painting over and lightly sand the damage part of the painting to remove any loose threads. Now fill in the damage area with clear gesso. You may need one or more layers, gently sanded to smooth the surface. 


12. Once you have the sanded the surface to your liking you can then touch up or repaint your painting. 


Will if you are wondering how my painting turn out here is a  before and after shot. 

O' and by the way the tears happen in the trees and on part of the barn. 

Here is a pic before the painting got damage... 


And here is after the repairs ... 

Can you see a differences ? 


What if you want to make your own canvas? 

Go to this site: 
http://www.oilpaintersofamerica.com/resources/articles/MakingYourOwnLinenPanels.cfm 

Even if you are a Acrylic artist like me. This process will work  just find for you.  




      Until next time, Happy Creating and God Bless

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am deeply grateful for your support, comments and 
business and a huge thanks to all of those who have recently 
purchased my paintings and ornaments. It means a lot to me.
Thanks once again for taking the time to read my blog.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a wall that needs to be filled or perhaps 
replaced with an image that inspires you? Or a memory you 
would like captured? Than I would love to talk to you about
doing a commission painting for you.   And thank you for 
your support, your love of art and for letting me sharing my 
journey with you.  If you have friends who would be 
interested in my work, please forward this blog on to 

them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


If you have friends who would be interested in my

work, please forward this blog on to them. And to 

continue to stay connected via:

Website:  http://creationsbyjdfields.weebly.com/

Gallery that my work is at: WWW.RAVENSNESTGALLERYCA.COM   

My blog: http://creationsbyjdfields.blogspot.com/     

My Newsletter: http://newsletterbyjdfields.blogspot.com/ 

My online gallery and affordable giclees on canvas, prints and cards: 

http://j-d-fields-.artistwebsites.com/ 

 j-d-fields-.pixels.com   

Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/artwkbyladybug/  

Follow me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/creationsbyjdfields

Commissions are welcome, Contact Me: pals4ever98@hotmail.com  

(C) All copyright privileges retained by Creations by J.D. Fields. Downloading/printing is prohibited by law